I know it’s already been a week since the new year started but, Happy New Year a little late! I was off of here for a couple weeks enjoying time with all my family, but I’m back now!
Since it’s officially citrus season, I’m probably going to start bombarding you with all things orangy-lemony-grapefruity on here, so sit tight! I’m starting it off with these ginger cookies that are filled with a lemon cream filling.
They’re super easy and don’t take up a lot of time in the day. Also, the lemon cream is like, THE best thing. I had to stop myself from eating the bowl once or twice…
- 3/4 cups (1.5 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1/3 cup sugar, for rolling
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 3 3/4 - 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from meyer lemons)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, spices, salt, and set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat the sugar and butter till creamy. Add the molasses and beat till combined. Add the egg and beat till combined. Scrap down the sides and gradually add flour in 1/3 increments, beating till just combined each addition.
- Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Scoop the dough out and very slightly roll the piece into a ball(don't roll it smooth, leave some cracks in it) it should be about 1 inch in diameter. Lightly coat the dough balls in sugar and place on the pan, spacing each ball 2 inches apart from each other.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-13 minutes. Let them cool on the pan 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Beat the cream cheese till smooth, add the lemon juice and beat till combined. Add the powdered sugar and lemon zest and beat well. Transfer into a piping bag with a #12 round tip attached.
- Pipe the lemon cream onto the flat side of the cookie, leaving about 1/4 inch of space around the edges. Squish another cookie onto the cream a gently press them together till the cream comes out to the sides(but does't flow out). Repeat till all the cookies are assembled. Let them sit for an hour to let the cream harden.
- Piping bag
- #12 round tip