You will need a load of chocolate for this chocolate bourbon mousse cake- as if the title didn’t tell you that already! I went through a total of 32 ounces of chocolate yesterday. But, that was only cause I messed up what seemed like fifty times on the brownie and once on the mousse(I accidentally put the bourbon straight into the melted chocolate when it had no butter in it, which then turned into a dry ball of chocolate that was unusable for the mousse). So, you will not have to worry about buying and using as much as I did yesterday…
I stayed up till 11:30 last night and finally got the brownie and mousse texture right. I was frustrated and was about to give up, but as much as it all tried my patience, it came out just fine in the end. The lesson: pay very close attention to what you’re doing. When you do that, most the time things turn out as planned. None of it was a total waste, though, my siblings ate the failures(it was delicious, but was not the outcome I wanted). I’m so glad I have so many siblings that are more than happy to eat the things that didn’t turn out, cause I hate throwing food away when it’s edible enough to keep down, ha!
This is a very rich, not-super-sweet, and just an all around addicting dessert. So much chocolate! Hey, the more the merrier, right? It’s super photogenic too, I took nearly 200 photos.. but alas, I can only post so many on here. Enjoy wanting to lick your screen! I’ll be here, stuffing my face with the leftovers…
*This recipe contains raw eggs.
- 3.5 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 4 ounces butter, unsalted
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, room temp.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 ounces bitter-sweet chocolate
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 3 egg whites, room temp.
- 1 egg yolk, room temp.
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons bourbon-whiskey
- 5 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 3/4 cup cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9-inch spring foam pan, and line the bottom with parchment paper(cut out to fit the bottom).
- Place a heatproof bowl over a pot of simmering water/double boiler(make sure the bowl does not touch the water). Melt the butter and semi-sweet chocolate until smooth. Add the sugar and vanilla and stir until the sugar is slightly melted, remove from heat. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt.
- Add flour mixture and two eggs to the chocolate mixture and mix until combined.
- Pour and evenly spread around prepared pan. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- In a double boiler, melt the 3tbs of butter, 8oz of chocolate, and stir until smooth, add bourbon and stir till just combined. Turn off heat. When the chocolate is not hot, but warm, add the 1 egg yolk and gently stir into the chocolate, stop when the yolk is incorporated.
- Chill a mixing bowl and whisks, when chilled, beat on high speed, the 3/4 cup of cream till soft peaks form. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer with whisks attached(not chilled), beat the 3 egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form, add the 2tbs of sugar, and return to high speed until stiff peaks have formed.
- In three batches, fold the whipped cream into the chocolate(it should be just warm to touch), making sure each addition is fully combined. Now gently fold in the egg whites, in three batches, until fully combined.
- When the brownies are fully cooled in the pan, gently pour the mousse on top and spread around evenly. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight(best to leave in overnight). When the mousse has set, gently remove the ring from around the spring foam pan. Pour the ganache over top and let sit in the fridge to firm, 30 minutes to 1 hour. Cut and serve.
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces and place in a large bowl. Heat cream in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and instantly pour over the chopped chocolate. Sit for 1 minute and then stir till chocolate is melted and is smooth. Let it sit for 10 minutes then pour over the set mousse.
- *This recipe contains raw eggs.