This week definitely calls for muffins. It has been quite crazy here with all the snow. We got two-TWO- feet of snow here in Virginia! It’s not normal here, so everyone was going a bit crazy. It’s happily melting now and everything is looking pretty messy. I’ve probably bent and bruised every bone in my body from shoveling or falling on the slippery ice with the kids. It was fun the first two days, but it can totally switch to spring now!
Anyway. These muffins. I cannot get enough of them! I made two batches this week so far. The honey and sugar go exceptionally well with the blueberry and banana. Small blueberries are the best for these muffins as I found they taste better. So, if you can find them, good! I had some fresh blueberries from our bush sitting in the freezer from last summer.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cups milk, room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 large egg slightly beaten, room temperature
- 3/4 cups mashed banana ( 2 very ripe bananas )
- 1 cup small blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup turbinado sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin or, skip the greasing and use paper muffin cups instead.
- In a small bowl, add the 1/2 cup turbinado sugar and 1 tablespoon honey and stir with a fork till crumbly. Set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the butter. Add the milk, slightly beaten egg, and mashed banana; whisk till combined and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and whisk till combined. Add the liquids and stir once, then carefully fold in/stir the blueberries and walnuts till all the ingredients are just combined, you don't want to over-stir it! About 20-23 strokes will do it, it should be lumpy.
- Spoon the batter equally amongst the muffin cups/greased tin and sprinkle the honey sugar on the tops. Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes till golden on the tops. Remove from pan and place on a cooling rack to cool. Add more honey sugar if desired.